Thursday 23 October 2014

Artful Times DT piece -- Poppies. Tag Tuesday -- Poetry

At long last we have moved, and are now very slowly emerging from a sea of boxes. The removal men said they had never moved anyone with so many. They were somewhat speechless when they saw the 300 plus that we had already taken over, a third of them for my studio. My computer and scanner are now functioning, so I couldn't resist doing a tag for this week. The theme is poetry, and as poppies seem to be the flower of the year, I have made one using some poetry from the 1st World War, and a poppy die cut.
On the background I used some texture paste through a stencil. painted it black, and then lightly rubbed it with sandpaper.



The poem says:
We cherish too, the poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies

I was going to use

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

There are three more verses, but even the one wouldn't fit on my tag.

There are two more verses, and even the one wouldn't fit on my tag.

4 comments:

chrissie said...

Fantastic tag Wendy and great that you found time to fit one in at all. All those boxes to unpack--hope you have a big place to put them in :)

Good Luck

Love Chrissie x

Heather said...

A beautiful and very fitting tag for this year. I like that you have used a verse from a lesser known poem. We hear some of them so often that the meaning seems to get a bit lost.
I dread having to move and can't bear to contemplate the enormous task of packing up everything in my workroom.

Meggymay said...

Fantastic tag Wendy. I hope you get unpacked soon and settled into your new home.
Yvonne xx

Craftyfield said...

A beautiful tag for a beautiful poem. I sympathise with your moving in woes... unpacking seems to last forever, some things never turn up whilst other pop up from a long forgotten corner! You'll get there.

Blog Archive